Wednesday, July 1, 2009

SYTYCD

So I'm going to ramble off a quick review here because it's late and I need to pack (see you soon Mom!!)

Janette and Brandon were again my favorite dance of the night. Nigel said it was the best Cha-cha they've every had on the show. It was really amazing and highly entertaining.

Kayla and Kupono had contemporary as did Caitlin and Jason. The judges liked Kayla/Kupono's better, I liked Caitlin and Jason's better. I thought that Kayla outshone Kupono because her kicks were higher and I just didn't like the choreography. I really don't like Kupono. I thought that Caitlin's outfit was ridiculously stupid, but it showed off that she can move her body in amazing ways and also she has a lot more personality. I actually liked the choreography and thought the judges overlooked how the details of the dance made it actually really good.

I thought it was unfair that Phillip and Jeanine got hip-hop again since that's his specialty, although with hip-hop it's been known to happen. I liked it ok, but I don't like NappyTabs choreography.

I also thought it was heinously unfair that they added a ballet pas de deux to the show for Melissa and Ade that allowed her to dance in point. She was gorgeous, but it offset that Ade didn't know what he was doing and he looked clunky and out of character next to her. I don't think Nigel could get any more self-congratulatory about having it on the show either.

I didn't like Evan & Randi's broadway routine, partially because I didn't like the choreography at all. They'd've killed Phillip and Jeanine's routine from last week, but this was about smaller movements. The judges liked Randi, but thought Evan didn't try hard enough. I didn't particularly care for Randi, I thought her movements weren't sharp, and I saw some moments of brilliance from Evan, but also some some really lazy movements from him as well.

Karla and Vitolio got the Quickstep, Kiss of Death, and I really really liked it. I think because it was brilliantly choreographed, the costume change in the middle was absolutely frickin' fantastic, and I think the music being all snazzy helped. But even I noticed that they kept their carriage really well and did steps easily that couples in previous seasons made look clunky and heavy. Really very good.

I think the bottom 3 SHOULD be Kayla and Kupono, Evan & Randi, and Melissa & Ade, but I think it WILL be Karla and Vitolio, Evan & Randi, and Caitlin & Jason.

No comments: