Thursday, December 16, 2010

Quick Post






This one is new to me: Red-shouldered Hawk. We had just turned out of Mom's apartment complex on our way up to Kokomo for Thanksgiving and we see this guy on the side of the road. I make Michael turn around so I could take a picture. Here's a hint. You can't get a good picture unless you let the car come to a complete stop. Let me rephrase. I can't get a good picture and will scream at you to stop the car. Sorry Michael.



Also, Juvenile Cooper's Hawk. You can tell because of the fine brown streaking on his chest and, y'know, the fact that he looks like a Cooper.
I also saw a female Northern Harrier on the way home (this was all Thanksgiving weekend). It was along I-65 and she was on the side of the road, eating something and I thought it was a Red-Tailed Hawk, but Harriers have a bright white rump, so they're easy to identify if you can see that when they're flying. Obviously no picture since I was driving :)




2 comments:

Megan said...

Your posts always bring me back to my Biology of Birds class in college which I really enjoyed and opened my eyes to how many species really live around here.

Chrissi said...

1) I'm so jealous of your Biology of Birds class
2) I had no idea there were this many species of birds until I started birding. My total life list is somewhere in the 80's.