Monday, June 22, 2009

SYTYCD results

So now that I know someone is actually reading these (Thanks Nikki!) I'll dissect the results. Also I spent an amazing amount of time adding pictures to the previous post, so check it out.

As predicted, the bottom 3 were a bit of a mess due to the fact that Phillip, while most deserving of being in the bottom 3 was left out of it due to his fan base. That left another couple vulnerable to being cut. So the bottom 3 were Caitlin & Jason (deservedly so), Kupono and Ashley (also deserving), and Kayla and Max (Gah! What?!). So Phillip (and Janine) got votes probably for 2 reasons - Phillip has a fan following, and the fanbase was moved to vote because he got bad reviews and they knew he was in danger. Along with that Kayla and Max (whose routine I loved) was a little weird and I think that all the gushing about Kayla backfired. I mean, most of the people voting are young girls and maybe not so young girls and they like to vote for the boys. So to put forward this blonde Barbie-doll looking girl without a ton of personality (to them, not to me) who gets these slightly over the top ravishing reviews is not going to endear her to the fanbase. However, as with Cedric a couple of years ago, the judges have to be careful not to eviscerate anyone because the fans will vote for them out of sympathy. Mia Michaels is particularly adept at pissing off the fans I think. I will wait until Mia is a judge to give you my thoughts on her. Here's a hint - mean girl.

So after the dancing, I thought Max actually did very well for a male ballroom dancer, it was very entertaining. Jason was actually phenomenal and Kupono didn't do a damn thing. AT. ALL! I really think Kupono should have gone home both for the body of work and for the solo. I can't really fathom why Max went home because he's a ballroom dancer and half the dances they do over the course of the competition are ballroom!! It helps to keep him around. AND he's a better ballroomer than Jonathan and more masculine. If you've watched this show for any length of time, you've realized that they are big on the men needing to be able to DANCE masculinely, especially in the latin ballroom. Of course this has given rise to some people calling Nigel homophobic, and I wonder if that contributed to Kupono staying. Kupono is not masculine at all, and I'm curious to watch him dance a ballroom. So now Kayle is paired with Kupono. Since they've both already done a contemporary, that's out, so I'm guessing something like the waltz or broadway for next week for them.

As for the girls, I think that I would've preferred to see Caitlin go home, but I understand why they sent Ashley home. Ashley didn't dance a solo, she walked around the stage and posed. It was unique, but when you're dancing for your life, you show off you skills woman! Caitlin, I felt was boring, and since I didn't like the Bollywood dance last week either I feel like she's a weak link. I think they didn't cut her because the pairings wouldn't work (Jason & Kayla - I think she's taller - also if they'd cut Kupono and Caitlin, it would've been Jason & Ashley) and because they've invested a lot in Caitlin. It's kind of annoying that in the hip-hop dance that got them sent to the bottom 3, it was Ashley who stood out and got some praise, but Kupono got to stay and Ashley had to go. During the dances and the solo I couldn't take my eyes off Ashley, so I think it's a shame she's gone, but I'm not overly upset about that one.

On the upside, Cat's outfit was super classy! Compare and contrast: Top is dance night, bottom is results:

No comments: