Saturday, August 2, 2008

Bummer.

So I've been having a lot of pain in my right wrist for the last couple of weeks ever since my first Pottery class. I was super excited about signing up because I used to take pottery throwing when I lived in Philly and I really liked it. So I went to the first class and during the first part when we were wedging the clay (it's a lot like kneading bread, only harder) my wrist was killing me. After that class I took some ibuprofen and it was mostly fine. A few days later it started to hurt A LOT, and it has hurt every day since then. It got so bad that last Friday at the bar I was using my left hand to drink my beer, and we KNOW that can't continue so I made a Dr.'s appt. So I went this morning and he told me I have ulnar neuropathy in my right wrist which is like Carpal Tunnel just on a different nerve (the ulnar nerve is on the outside of your wrist going up to your pinkie finger). Essentially the tissue around the nerve got inflamed from over-use and pushed the nerve around so the nerve is causing me pain. So we need to get the nerve back where it belongs so I don't have any permanent damage. So I had to quit pottery :( and I have to wear a brace and take some anti-inflammatories and do some exercises and hopefully it will go away with all that. If it's not gone after that, I'll have to go to physical therapy. Also I am to avoid any strain on it that's not absolutely necessary, hence quitting pottery. I'm supposed to try and do everything I can with my left hand (have you ever tried pushing a revolving door with only your left hand? Harder than you would think. And every building in downtown Chicago has a freaking revolving door). So I should probably also avoid typing, but since that's kind of essential to my job, I'll just make do. I'm really rather bummed out about having to quit Pottery (if you couldn't already tell) but the art center gave me credit for the rest of the classes and when I want to sign up next that'll pay for about half of my next class. So mostly I'm blogging about this to garner sympathy :) Poor me. :(

3 comments:

Anna said...

Bummer is right!

And I can imagine how hard it is to be de facto left-handed. Please try not to injure yourself with revolving doors.

Loving all the new posts.

Nikki said...

So.... it hurt so much you had to drink your beer with your left hand? And the damage is from overuse? What is this telling us? :)

Laura said...

Poor you is right - that sounds painful!