Friday, August 15, 2008

US Men's Beach Volleyball



I think maybe I have never heard of such an eminently unlikeable person as the guy Rogers and Dalhauser are playing against. His name is Laciga, he's from Switzerland, I think, and he just sounds like a jerk. The announcers are talking about how "volatile" he is and in the first couple of points how he "laid into" his young partner for messing up. Then they tell the story of how him and his older brother, who used to be partners, haven't talked in ages, INCLUDING when they played together. It was their father who suggested they not talk during matches and it dramatically improved their play. What the...? They didn't talk AT ALL through the entire Athens Olympics, and they showed a clip of how his brother tried to give him a high five after a play and he walked right by him. Just now, he fell down trying to block and then tried to kick the ball up to keep it in play and he kind of smiled (looked like a grimace to me) and the announcer said "rare smile from the volatile one". He just sounds like a ray of sunshine, doesn't he? So this is the first player at the Olympics that I'm actively rooting against. Oh, and this gem, which I'm not touching with a ten foot pole (or a six foot german): "If he keeps this up he'll have to play with himself". They should have said BY himself. BY himself. Think before you speak.

Update: YES! US Wins as Laciga goes and has a tantrum in the corner.

2 comments:

Laura said...

Yea, he seemed like an ass. I missed that comment though - too funny!

I know you haven't blogged about it yet - but did you have to watch the end of the Phelps race about 5 times before you believed it? I know it's an automatic touch sensor type thing, but I was convinced they had it wrong until about the 5th angle they showed of it.

Nikki said...

I just watched that game - what an ass! He's like a petulant child - and he's the older one on the team!!!! They were actually saying that part of the US strategy was to target the younger guy b/c they knew Lacig would lay into him and probably rattle him more. Great sportsmanship man!