Monday, August 11, 2008

Oh. My. Gah.

The men's gymnastics team just exhausted me. That was awesome. They qualified 6 out of 8 for the finals and then they went and won the Bronze. Half way through (taking into account the fact that different apparatus score higher than others) they were leading and with one apparatus to go they were in second. Unfortunately Pommel is a very low scoring apparatus and the Japanese were on their highest scoring apparatus. But Alex Artemev nailed it again to put it out of reach of the Germans. So The US Men got the bronze using 2 of their 3 alternates and without either of the Hamm twins, and not a single returning member from 4 years ago. So cool. Jonathan Horton was incredibly awesome, but Justin Spring is still my favorite. He's a little nuts and his high bar routine nearly killed me because he goes after it so hard and it's nearly out of control, but so fun to watch. And I'm happy the Chinese won the Gold. They deserved it really. Especially since Japan didn't seem to be taking the meet seriously. Um, Olympics, anyone? Maybe you shouldn't be laughing after you majorly flub a vault and be taking video on the sidelines?

And Tim Daggett ought to be shot. There is such thing as hubris. Look it up. You know, how in football or basketball, when they're about to kick a field goal or shoot a freethrow and the announcer then proceeds to tell you how they won't miss, they inevitably do? Yeah, that little superstition goes way back to Greek Mythology. It goes something like this: The Gods are not nice, and if you have hubris (over-confidence) they will shoot you down. And Tim Daggett ought to be a stone statue by now because Every Single Apparatus he kept on about how this person does it so well and at the end he kept saying, The Americans have the bronze, when it wasn't clinched yet and I wanted to reach through the television and choke him. I actually watched most of it on mute. Ok, I'm done with that little rant.

3 comments:

Nikki said...

I MISSED IT!!!!! sob.

Anna said...

I am very much enjoing the Chrissi Atkisson Olympic coverage. I think perhaps you should quit your day job and be a sport girl.
Plus, if you worked sidelines for football, you get to wear really cool hats!

BJ said...

I also missed it. Jan e-mailed me at work that morning to say that her, Mom & Diane where going to be at the State Fair & wanted me to meet them after work. I felt guilty because I haven't seen Mom for a long time so I went. We spent most of the time watching horse judging - really - horses over gymnastics? And you know how much I love gymnastics!!!!